The annual meeting of the Governors Village Property Owners Association (GVPOA ) was held November 11, 2014 at Mt. Carmel Baptist Church.
President Wes Weaver began the meeting by welcoming new neighbors to the community. Thirty-seven existing homes were purchased this year.
Next Wes introduced other members of the GVPOA Board of Directors as well as those serving on the 2014 Townes Board of Directors. The Townes is a sub-association.
Wes also introduced the community manger, Alina Cochran, of Talis Management Group. He reminded residents of the core values and community mission that guide the work of the board.
Vice-President Rosemary McGee described the election process to fill four director positions. The slate of candidates presented by the election committee ran unopposed. All four were elected by acclamation.
Wes Weaver – Governors Village
Bill Hlavac – Governors Lake
Peter DeStaebler – Townes of Governors Village
Ted Smith– At-Large
Outgoing director Otto White, who has served 6 years, gave the Board Update. Otto’s report included recreation and grounds improvements as well as an update on the commercial area. Under the new pool contract a maintenance person will clear debris in the mornings. Pool shifts have been changed slightly but open hours will remain the same. Grounds committees have used/planned 2014 neighborhood enhancements that include new plantings, tree replacements, grading improvements and daffodils for spring color.
John Eberhard presented the Financial Report. He reviewed the income statement, balance sheet as of the end of October, chart of 2015 budget assessment income by neighborhood, 2015 budget overview and 2015 budget expenses. Dues remain unchanged for 2015. John reported $400,000 Parks and Improvements Loan was paid in full this year. The board is committed to fully funding the reserves to the level recommended by the reserve study goal.
Daniel Guy recognized the many volunteers who serve on the various committees. Special acknowledgments were given to Barry Bassett for his long service working on the pool and to Otto White for his 6 years on the Board.
During the question and answer period residents called the board’s attention to issues of concern, including:
- the need to replace a broken Bradford pear in the Village
- broken and/or uneven sidewalks in the Park
- poor quality of grass in the islands in the Park
- increasing number of potholes in the streets. Except for alleys in Townes, all streets are owned by Department of Transportation. Residents can report potholes directly as well as alert Talis. Suggestion was made to enlist assistance of Talis in keeping a list of when the proper DOT authorities have been notified.
- clarification of finanacials
- request for board assistance in sharing information with the community, including releasing board minutes sooner and encouraging committee chairs to send news updates to communications committee
Thanks go to Otto White for his six-year service on the board. Thank you also to the other board members, all of whom will return for next year, joined by newly elected Ted Smith.
Further details summarizing the work of the 2014 board are available in the slide presentation attachment.
Attachment: 2014 Governors Village Annual Meeting Presentation, November 11, 2014 (PDF)
Contact: Contact: Alina Cochran, Community Manager – acochran at talismgmt.com (919.878.8787 x235)
Photographs by Ted Smith, Communications Chair and Photographer.